You’re a human, not a tractor.
for the work you do.
Left Field in conjunction with many farms across the North West Coast of Tasmania, are seeking Hand Weeders around farms in areas such as Kindred, Penguin and Wesley Vale. This work is open to short-term seasonal work and also for those seeking something long-term if desired, with year-round work available for those who are open to different farm work and who are motivated.
This position would be best suited to those living in Devonport and close surrounds so you are central to the farms to help top up your hours - for those who aren't locals, click here for Top Tips for Work, Transport & Accommodation – North West Tasmania.
What is Crop Protection (Hand Weeding)?
Hand Weeding is the removal of weeds from the field by hand. It is an effective pre-harvesting method of crop protection and crop production management. Weed control is vital to agriculture, because weeds decrease yields, increase production costs, interfere with harvest, and lower product quality. Weeds also impede irrigation water-flow, interfere with pesticide application, and harbour disease organisms.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU:
- Must have a current driver's licence and own reliable transport.
- Must be open to working 7 days a week on a rotating roster (but not necessarily working every day).
- Must have a can-do attitude, energetic, positive mindset, and excellent attention to detail.
- Previous farming experience looked upon favourably, but not essential - if you're willing to learn and take on constructive feedback, we can train you!
WHAT LEFT FIELD DOES FOR YOU IN RETURN:
- Weekly pay so you can plan your finances.
- WHV holders - counts towards your 88 days.
- Hourly rate work, starting from $26.73 (Horticultural Award 2020).
- Harvest all year round - if you're open minded with the right attitude, there are many opportunities to stay on year-round if desired.
- Regular check in's to ensure you are happy and thriving.
- StaffSure certification and protection for you.
- Work within our renowned Lefty culture.
- Opportunity to explore the beautiful Tasmanian countryside.
- Long Service Leave entitlements so you can be rewarded for your long term commitment - we'd love you to stick around!
- Workplace protections so you feel looked after (you're not just a human tractor to us!).
- Safe work systems and culture.
- Large variety of farm and harvest options across the NW Coast to top up hours if desired.
- Witness breath-taking sunrises and sunsets.
- Surround yourself with magnificent landforms and landscapes.
- Farm from some of the most productive soils in the world.
Left Field is well known for its positive, motivated and reliable culture - we’re looking for people who would appreciate being surrounded in this environment and fit right in with our crews – if this sounds like you, we can provide you with an amazing work experience in return, no matter your farming experience, if you are local, or travelling abroad.
Farm work can be physical and in weather of all sorts - this means our workers must be physically fit and mentally tough. This is a casual position - whilst there are no guarantee of hours, we work hard towards shifts being regular and consistent, and provide options to work across various farms to top up hours if desired. Ongoing work is an option for those who show they are open minded, committed and reliable.
Worried About Being Paid Fairly?
Working with the Lefty Crew means everyone, local or not, receive the same benefits and entitlements, superannuation, overtime, and penalty rate bonuses.
Tasmania offers exclusivity as well as an exquisite experience, incomparable to all the other states in Australia: https://leftfield.net.au/are-you-missing-out-on-tasmania/.
If you're travelling to Tasmania soon or thinking about it, we have more farm work coming up over the next few months to tick off your 88 Visa days.
During summer and Autumn, farm work will be flourishing across the North West Coast of Tasmania, with lots of gems to explore close by on your days off, such as the famous Cradle Mountain National Park!
Not sure where to start? Here are our Top Tips for Work, Transport & Accommodation – North West Tasmania.